Designing My Own Aboleth Miniature - Part 1 - The Why

"The Elder Evil" print available at my Redbubble Store


I had a couple of revelations not too long ago. The first:

Why paint other people’s miniature designs, when I could design and build my own to paint?

I am after all a designer not limited to UX and UI design (as much as try to position myself to the creative industry), and am capable of illustrative concept design having done so on game projects in the past. So, why not use these skills and put them towards my newfound passion?

Having moved up into a team lead position at the company I work for, I also realised over the past year I wasn’t doing nearly any hands-on creative work in my career anymore. While I love the challenges of leading better designers than me on creative projects, I can’t just switch off being a creative person. This lead to my second revelation:

Now I can focus my creative efforts on my personal projects, on things that exclusively interest me.

After ten years working in the games industry, I feel like my creativity belongs to me again and I'm going to focus on some personal projects that interest me for a little while. No need to create work to attract freelance clients. No pressure to create a portfolio of work to get hired. I’m feeling that itch again. To draw. To paint. To create. And this Lovecraftian-inspired Aboleth creature from Dungeons and Dragons is the first step on a new path where I aim to create my own sculptures and miniatures.

In my next blog post, I’m going to share the concept art that made me arrive at this creature design and the beginnings of me learning to sculpt it in clay.


See you then!

Lloyd Harvey

Comments