The Last Days of the Woodman

The Last Days of the Woodman

“He looked incredibly weary and listless, like he hadn’t rested in I can't tell you how long. His eyes, those once vibrant emerald jewel orbs, had become greyed and seemed to have lost their once pristine glare. His face now brittle and dry. He seemed like more of a sickly specter than the embodiment of life I knew him to be.”

I’m in the habit of reworking my old characters as of late. The ‘Woodman’ is a character I conjured up back in 2007 for a personal project of mine and since then, I’ve reworked his look and backstory a few times. This version, I feel, is the one I will commit to I think.

I started this piece on the iPad Pro in ProCreate and spent a good deal of time drawing in the details and working on his expression. The best reference for the expression I wanted was a series of photographs I found of soldiers taken before, during and after the Iraq war. It was a powerful set of photos and I really wanted to capture the weight of their expressions in my character’s eyes.
 
Once I was happy with the line work, I moved him in to Photoshop and painted him up over the course of a month.
Lloyd Harvey

Comments