Rebooting a Wacky World

Back when I was about 10 or something like that, I don't quite remember the exact age, I watched the film Cool World. I didn't really know what was going on in that film, being as I was way too young to get all the sexy stuff that was happening but, I do remember being super inspired by the notion of a 'world' full of weird creatures, characters and locations.
 
Digging through some of my archives early this year before I moved, I found some original pieces I created when I had watched that film for the first time. There were pages of really rubbish cartoon characters and some sinfully unfunny comic strips, and also, this map:




Wacky World... terrible name. Check out the Hottles district in the top right. I think I meant 'Hotels' but Hottles it will remain.

In regards to my personal art work, I've been asking myself recently: "Why do I do what I do?" I've been asking myself that for a long time actually, ever since back in 2014 really. One piece to the answer of that question though, concerns the film Cool World, and this map, and this is why I'm sharing this blog post today. In fact, future blog posts are also going to be dealing with answering that question as I start looking back over the films that inspired me as a child and everything since.

Just like Hollywood though, I can't leave anything sacred and have decided to give my old work a little bit of a reboot. Below are the first batch of ink drawings of the updated Skylands that make up Wacky World.



Next week, I will share a bunch of WIP screenshots of the 'Hell' skyland as I've been doing a lot of digital painting on that piece.

Thanks for stopping by and having a nose about.

Lloyd

Comments