A Trip Through Hell

Last week I shared a map I drew when I was a youngster for something called "Wacky World," and a bunch of reworked line drawings of some of the 'Skylands' that make up that world. This week, I'd like to share some WIPS screenshots of one of the pieces I've been working on recently. Welcome to my Hell.

The original Hell 'design' from the map I created as a youngling. It looks like Hell is basically an empty waiting room and a big, deformed Devil head.

This is the line drawing I created that was inspired by that 'Hell.' Here it looks incredibly Mordor like but, I always knew, that when I got to painting it digitally I would add a lot more things to make it less Mt. Doomesq.
Starting off, I threw down a base colour to act as a mask (the blue under colour) and begun to shape the rocks by selecting a light source. I didn't actually know where I wanted to go with this piece, so starting off with laying down some simple lighting was a good way to start.

Yep, thats green grass. If you're thinking "there's no green grass in Hell!" You'd be right to do so. Don't worry, it didn't stay green for long but I thought, why shouldn't Hell have some kind of foliage?

Blood red grass in Hell. Sort of sounds like a bit of a saying. "You don't have a blood red grass chance in Hell mate." I didn't say it sounded like a saying that makes any sense, or was easy to say, but yeah... moving on.

So here I muted the red hue a bit and begun to laboriously paint in the rock shapes that are the underside of the Skyland. Took a while to do, but was worth it I think.

Painting in the rock faces that are lit from the magma below was also a load of fun. This was a little more tricky to get right I felt, well compared to the other rocky areas of the painting, but luckily there are loads of great reference photos on the web.

This is where I got to with this piece before taking a break for a few weeks to work on other things. Still feels a little Mordor to me, so I think I will change up the towers in their core design and also, set about creating a big floating Devil head to sit somewhere.
As always, thanks for taking a look. Next week I am going to be sharing some more Weekly Design Challenge pieces from work.
Lloyd

Comments