New Work: Vector Map Illustration

While usually I work within the gaming industry as a games artist and designer, I still like to do pure illustration work. Back In January, I was asked to produce a map for Haringey Council in London, to show a planned energy network expansion in the borough. The map had to be a loose representation of the placement of things, it needed to be stylised and simple, bright, bold and lovely to look at. It also had to be scalable when printed, for it was to be used in a booklet and on a banner.

To complete this piece, I started off by sketching a lot of the buildings first to get the basic look I was going for. I then created moved the sketches into Illustrator and built up their designs using vectors. I then took a cut out of the shape of the borough, and set the shape to an isometric slant, to match the isomeric look of the buildings.

Once I had placed all the buildings, roads, signs and trees onto the map in Illustrator, I moved all the pieces over to Photoshop and used layer effects to bump the colours, add some nice graphical touches and just round the image off to a nicer finish.

Overall, it took around 2 weeks to complete.
  
Full HD-Res piece

Crop of the more detailed part of the map.

This building, was the first of the lot that I made for the map and took the longest to finish. Alexandra Palace itself is a very detailed building, so I have to creatively edit it down yet still make it recognisable.

This is a bit of St. Ann's Hospital and was the last building I created for the map.
Thanks for looking!

Lloyd Harvey
www.shrunkenheaddesign.co.uk

Comments